Thursday, November 6, 2008

SogoTrade

SogoTrade was my first account that I made my first official trade in! Unlike its sister broker, SogoElite, it allows you to trade through an online interface. There is no need to download a platform to the desktop of your computer. This can be handy if you're away from your own computer and want to check in and buy or sell a few securities. 

I changed from SogoTrade to SogoElite over a year ago because I earned enough capital to short the market (make money as the market falls) and SogoElite's platform allowed me to do that while SogoTrade did not. Based on the demos, it looks like SogoTrade has caught up with the times and supports short sells, a big plus and in my case a huge necessity.

Their rates are $3.00 per trade. They're running a promotion currently that if you sign up for a new account you'll receive 100 free trades with a minimum account balance of $500. Additionally, SogoTrade offers free dividend reinvestment, $100 back (in fees) when you transfer an existing account to SogoTrade, as well as 25 free trades for recommending a friend. 

Something they've recently added that has peaked my interest is their Stock Screener - you can search for stocks that meet certain criteria.  Just at first glance I don't feel it is as customizable as a StockCharts.com stock scan, nevertheless, for a day or swing trader that is a great feature.

I enjoyed my SogoTrade account and don't remember having any significant problems trading. SogoTrade also has a number of customer support methods; video tutorials and demos, a toll free number, 4 separate e-mail support accounts, AND live help - you can instant message a representative and get help right on the spot. One caveat though was that their free charts did not and still do not provide the stock quotes in candlesticks, so I needed to supplement my account with a Stockcharts.com account. Having two windows open was a bit cumbersome compared to the platform in SogoElite, but certainly not a deal breaker. 

I'd definitely recommend SogoTrade for the trader who wants a bit more flexibility in when and where they trade, but I prefer the cheaper fee structure and platform SogoElite provides.

Last Updated 12/8/08